Marriage & Weddings



The Anglican Parish of Christ Church Essendon welcomes inquiries about the celebration of marriage.

Booking a Wedding

The first step is to make contact with the Parish Priest (03) 9379 2770, to see if a particular date and time can be penciled in as a preliminary booking.

The second step is to make a time to meet with the Parish Locum, usually 6 to 12 months before the proposed wedding to confirm arrangements and to start preparing for the wedding service.

Interviews (Meetings with the Priest)

  1. to discuss wedding arrangements and complete legal documents
  2. to work out details of the wedding service
  3.  A rehearsal for the wedding.

Church Attendance

In choosing a beautiful church for a service of marriage, couples are encouraged to enjoy its atmosphere in advance of the wedding by attending the 9.30 am Sunday Service. The church is a community of people. We look forward to getting to know you and to support you as you venture into married life.

If you have not been baptized and/or confirmed and would like to be, or if you would like to find out more about membership of the church, do let us know.

Remarriage of Divorced Persons

When someone’s previous marriage has broken down, marriage in the Anglican Church is only possible after pastoral discussion with the officiating clergy, who must obtain permission from the Bishop in order to conduct the marriage.

Documents Required

Notice of Intended Marriage

This form needs to be completed by the couple and the Parish Priest no more than eighteen months and no less than one month prior to the intended date of the marriage. The form requires the full names of your parents (including your mother’s maiden name) and their countries of birth. (The Parish Priest has copies of this form)  

Baptism and/or Confirmation Certificate

Evidence of the baptism and/or confirmation of at least one party should be provided.

Birth Certificates / Passport and Photo ID such as Drivers Licence

The officiating clergy must see your original Birth Certificate and ideally passport, or a Statutory Declaration regarding your birth details plus Photo ID such as a Drivers Licence to prove who you are.

Consent for Minors

A special form must be completed for anyone under the age of 18 years. This is only possible on the intervention of a Magistrate.

Evidence of the Termination of a Previous Marriage.

If a person has been divorced or widowed, the officiating clergy must see the Decree Absolute or the Death Certificate.

The Parish Priest is happy to discuss your wedding and to answer all your questions.  

Mobile: 0431480224  

Phone: (03) 9379 2770